Friday, January 7, 2011

Crocodile Wars

It was a long day at work despite taking off yesterday to try to kick this crud. Sleeping most of the day yesterday did seem to help a lot though. I think I'm through the worst of it. My manish cough/bark was more feminine today and no kleenex tampons up the nose to stop the dripping. In fact, other than a few coughs here and there today, I'm feeling much better. I can't say enough about simply sleeping. This coming from someone who gets a side ache if I sleep more than 6 hours. A.D.D.

So yesterday when I stayed home I woke up at 3 am because I was so stuffed up I couldn't breathe and I was sucking all the air out of the room. Breathing through your mouth only when sleeping is not attractive, healthy, or quiet. So... I got up at 3 am and did the puzzle, then checked my facebook... surprise... no one on at 4am. So... I decided (in between coughing up several lungs and refilling the nose tampons) to work on my New Year's resolution. I am trying to FINISH WHAT I'VE STARTED as one of my resolutions. I have written several things... okay... boxes.. and never published any of it. Not to say it's worthy of publishing... just to say... how can you ever know if you never try. So anyway, one idea I've always had is to write my own comic strips. I know... I've already said my brain is not normal.

I always get so disgusted when I read the newspaper's comic strips and I want to write in and say, "Look up the definition of comic!" On a scale of lame to funny... 95% rate as lame. I can't believe people get paid for them. They used to be funny. I loved the Far Side. So anyway, at 4 am, I wrote up my first series. It was easy because I've been thinking about them for so long. The first series is.... Grandma Ruby. I know you're smiling. See... they're already funny. And what a great tribute to a great lady. Don't tell her though because I'm surprising her with them on her birthday. So anyway, I was going to do my own illustrating, but then I thought, that's a lot of extra work and we have an artist/illustrator in the family.. Alysha. So I emailed her and she's going to do the illustrating for me. Thank you Aly!

So then it was 5:30 and Greg came walking into the computer room and said I needed to go to bed and not to work. Suddenly I was tired. Maybe because I felt relieved at accomplishing (well almost) one of my goals already. I had some hot chocolate with him then went to bed when he left at 6am. I slept till 11am.

So that was yesterday. Today after work I went to Mandy's to pick up Rellie. He is always waiting with his little suitcase and Iron Man boots. I have a feeling he will even wear them in the summer. Chubby (a.k.a. Kayson) had just woke up from his nap and he was his usual little happy self grinning from ear to ear. It was hard not to bring him too, but I'm barely feeling better and don't want to give him back the crud (they've had it) because he's still a baby (big baby-- but still a baby). While I was picking up Rellie, the husband was picking up the three other older grandkids and some pizza. As soon as they got home and ate some pizza Daisha and I headed to practice. She was my assistant. She loves coaching. The girls like having her there too. Some of them are a bit intimidated by the fact that at age 6 she can dribble while running, and dribble with her left hand. :D Enough said there.

That said... we had a good practice and the girls continue to come together as a team both on and off the court. I can't say enough about team dinners, team activities, and sending little notes with goodies. It's extra work, but it not only pays off, it makes for better memories and the journey is the part that stays. So after practice we stopped at the store because Daisha wanted bacon (I was out), French toast, and eggs for breakfast. My thoughts too, so we had to go get the stuff to make them. We also picked up some ice cream. Jas's favorite-- Moose Tracks and Daisha's Cookies and Cream. Then we went home and the kids helped us take down the Christmas tree but papa let them turn on the outside Christmas lights "one last time". They come down tomorrow. They were very helpful and cute helping me carefully put away each ornament. I remember each ornament on our tree when I was little. We each had special ones. I guess that's why I'll never be a "theme tree" kind of person. I like the memories behind the ornaments.

After the tree was sadly retired, the crocodile game started. I had never heard of this game before but quickly realized it was designed to jump from couch to couch and involved a great deal of giggling and rolling on top of each other. Then they would run around in the middle saying they were crocodiles and then the rolling around and giggling again. To calm the crocodiles papa dished them all up some ice cream. Then we had family prayer, a few more giggling bouts, and then they were all out.... including papa. They are all so cute and precious. We are so blessed in our family. Before long the three younger ones will be big enough to join the silly trips to Mem and Papa's house. Maybe we do need a bigger house again...... :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed