Saturday, January 1, 2011

A New Year- A New Chapter

Someone made the comment that "It's just another day like any other day." Not true. Many people use the start of a new year to set goals, to reflect on the past year, and to evaluate needed changes or past successes. Thank goodness we have a day that invites and encourages that opportunity. I know I certainly need it in my life.

I started the New Year like most people my age.... just being thankful to make it to midnight... quite an accomplishment any more (unless I'm grading papers). Tammy and I whooped up on the boys in pinochle. Ate too much food, but at least the choices weren't totally unhealthy (except Greg's chocolate chip cookies). I made clam chowder. Speaking of that.... we had THE BEST clam chowder we've ever eaten at Angel's in Boise this past week. New favorite place to eat. Nice place. Great service and atmosphere. Very surprised by the good prices as well. And the dessert we had... .YUM! It looked like a round scoop of chocolate. It was some kind of brownie and it melted in our mouth. Also our new favorite dessert.

Back to munchies yesterday. Made the cream cheese pickle spears wrapped in thin sliced turkey pastrami. Went easy on the cream cheese so it wouldn't be very fattening. Made some wassle to drink. Tasted good and kept us warm. Rellie and I made pudding cups with lite cool-whip and sprinkles for Jeremy's kids, but they ended up not coming over. I think they're coming today. Greg also made bottom of the bird cage. Refried beans (good fiber), avocado (good fat), sour cream (sour), and pre-shredded cheese. Scooped that with the tortilla chips (corn). So yeah, ate more than normal for that time of night, but the choices weren't totally junk. :D

Started the year off with Rellie sleeping on my head. Got up at 6 when my head was ready to fall off the side because he was hanging on for dear life (never mind that he had the rest of the king size bed to roam in :D). It all worked out though because then my brother called from Afghanistan to say Happy New Year. Got to visit a while and it was really nice to talk to him. He hasn't smoked for three weeks and is working out on his off duty hours. They have a place set up on the base there so they can do that. He said last time (Iraq) he was chainsmoking like crazy about this time and he didn't want to make that same mistake. He also has a roommate who doesn't smoke so that helps too. My dad is also trying to quit. I'm cheering and praying for all of them. See.... it's not just another day. We make it more (just like any other holiday).

Two more days of vacation left.... then back to work. We have to play the number one team our first day back too. I hate Monday games. Who schedules Monday games. The girls had a great practice yesterday though and have improved so much. We scrimmaged the sophomores Friday and they complained that my girls were too aggressive so I was very proud. We have gone from being too quiet and timid to..... we're too aggressive. That's a good problem. Now if we can just get the ball to go in the hoop. If a team shoots the ball 62 times in a game.... we should be killing teams, not just winning. Of course come Monday, I'd just be happy if we got the win. The team we're playing is undefeated and very good. It'll be a good assessment of where we're at.

So the girls have the weekend off so we can all enjoy our last weekend of Christmas break. Monday is back to school/work. Right now though.... I hear Rellie waking up. That means it's time to cook breakfast and start off the new year. My prayers are with those who start this year with heavy hearts and those who have big dreams and those who are just thankful for what they have and where they are. Every new day is a gift.... that is why it's called "the present" (stolen from Kung Fu Panda). Treasure each day accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed