Sunday, October 2, 2011

L.I.G.



More parents showed up on the second day of P/T conferences though with only 20% of parents showing, it's still disappointing that so many parents don't come. Of course our politicians have made it clear that it's not the parents' fault when kids don't learn-- it's the teachers! Oh well.... L.I.G.

I wrote that on my hand more than once last year. It's actually pretty effective and much needed when you're also menopausal! L.I.G stands for "Let it Go" and also reminds me that either some things aren't going to change, or there are bigger fish to focus on. In this case-- some things will never change. I am thankful for the parents who cared enough to come.
I also found LIG most useful when having menopausal pity parties/rants. Okay, if I said, "Yeah honey, go ahead and buy that fourth football gold card (which is a step up from the $10 lightbulbs he bought one year when we were very poor) when the chubby cheeked came door-to-door selling them, then I couldn't spend the next two days going off about something I said it was okay for him to do. Kind of like when he went hunting one time and I kept saying, "No, go ahead" then he paid for it for the next two weeks. So yeah, I occasionally forget that, but mostly now I do keep it sane, let it go, and apologize when I get a little too bulldogish about little things. I've learned to recognize my menopausal rages a little quicker. I had one a week ago at a most inopportune time. But then, thank goodness for progress, I recognized and it and apologized to him. Life is too short and some things just don't matter that much.

On the other hand, sometimes he is a total dorkbucket and needs to be told so. :) We both are imperfect, but our love is the stuff movies (including comedies) is made of. Love you sweetie. We do have the X factor in our favor--the Lord is the X factor. We are both accountable to Him and not just to each other. And that, as Mr. Frost would say, "has made all the difference." :)

So on a less serious note, I went to a high school football game with the sweetie this weekend and really enjoyed it. The ambiance of a high school football game on a warm September night is nostalgic. The lights on the field, the students in their school colors, the onions frying on the grill. Yes, they had fried onions for their burgers. And the community that proudly wears each school's colors. People who think education is all about the data, just don't get it. They don't get why American education is so... American. Wait... how did I go back to that topic.
So the football game was nice. I liked it. The hubby's team won.

The next day he got to go to the BSU game and came home with a half-sunburned face. He took my brother and his brother with him and they looked quite comical walking in the door half sizzled on their face. My brother also wore his sunglasses so he sported the added "raccoon effect" as well. Still, despite BSU's not-so-awesome offense, the boys enjoyed the "experience". Plus I think they'll be cured for a while. They also stopped and visited the aunties who have been dying to see my brother since he returned from Iraq.

While they were gone, I got some laundry done and Rellie painted his pumpkin (among other things that did not make mommy happy) :) Chubby went ripping down the sidewalk and faceplanted. I went for a jog. I'm paying for it today. Ow! We also watched conference. Awesome talks! Oh, and I started writing yet another book. I hope I finish this one. Then.... we went and picked up to two little girls-- Maddi and Jilly. They are the cutest little cousins. They had a gigglefest that would have melted the hardest heart on the way home. Mandy fixed their hair this morning then we took them for a walk. The picture above is them coming home from their walk. They are SO adorable.

I can't believe it's Monday in the morning already!

1 comment:

  1. Monday... and I have parent teacher conferences this week. All I have to do is make it to Thursday night... I can do it!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed