Friday, July 1, 2011

reunions, summer projects, and auctions












I've been planning a family reunion for about a year now and it's finally coming together thanks to help from Carol and patience by the husband. Yesterday I had the chance to talk to one of my cousins that I haven't talked to in about 20 years (which is sad) and it's funny how you just pick up where you left off. She's a lawyer in a law firm and I called her at work because I didn't have her cell number (happens when you don't talk for 20 years and she's unlisted-- because she's a lawyer). Anyway, her secretary answered the phone and I said this is (my name) and I'm Susan's cousin. Is she available? She told me that she was tied up this afternoon in meetings but that she'd check to see when she'd be available. Then I was on hold. When she came back it was my cousin-- not the secretary. I suppose being a lawyer you have to screen all your calls. :D We talked for 30 minutes and she said her trial that weekend should conclude on Friday so she can make it. She's very excited to see everyone, and like me, very sad that we have all done a terrible job of staying in touch. We talked about our kids, our jobs, the old cousin days, and getting old. She assured me that I would not die when I turn 50 next year (she's two years older) and that, in fact, I wouldn't feel any different at all. It was so good to talk to her again.

After I talked to her I e-mailed her sister in Wyoming and told her about the phone call and that I really hoped she was going to be able to make it as well. Then Jason and Anne came over so Jas could help the dad organize his garage. Jason is the organizer. It looks SO much better now and we even found a few more things to donate to the yard sale. We found a few things I had been missing too! :D While the boys cleaned the garage Anne and I entertained Maddi. She tried to ride the training wheel bike. Did everything but pedal. :D We took her for a walk through the subdivision. She tried to help the boys clean the garage, so we took her in the backyard to play. Then she had salsa and chips for a snack. The girl loves salsa. When the boys finished cleaning the garage we ate some lunch and then Greg and I headed to garden at Aunt Bertie's.

The garden is coming along but it always has weeds! It was our exercise for the day. Once we got it all weeded (it's a large garden), then we headed to the Thursday night auction. We were going to stop at Home Depot and get stones to finish the edging on our corner spots, but went to the auction first and lo and behold... the had the edging stones. They're $1.69 each at Home Depot so it would have been $82 for what we needed. Got them for $40 at the auction + 10% buyer's fee. Saved almost half. We also picked up a 4 man tent (going camping at Pine next week) and sleeping bag for $10 and the husband got a nail gun for $17. I only picked up one lot of "weird things" which is good for me. It had a powderhorn and the weirdest little mandelin guitar I've ever seen along with some other treasures. I only spent $32 myself so, for me, that was good! We enjoy going and I didn't buy any furniture so the garage will remain clean. :D

This morning we're headed outside to put the stone in then we're picking up Mandy's boys at noon, possibly goign to the Discovery Center today, then the Steele Family Rodeo is tonight. Busy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed