Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The music in each of us

I've said before that music has a way of reaching us. Music is a sound of nature, a gift from God really when you think about it. Today I was standing outside at friend's house and the warm wind was blowing and she had just a small grove of trees and the sound of the different leaves was so soothing. When someone sings, that's a natural gifts. The words that we put to music come from a brain that is also a natural gift. Anyway, music touches me. It touches all of us. Today my brother in Iraq sent me a message and he shared with me three songs. Each song represented a time in his life. I won't share those songs because they are so personal, but I will say that as I googled each one and listened to them on youtube, I cried. They told me so much about my own brother and his life journey. I thought, "I wonder if I could do that with my own life... pick a few songs that will tell someone about my journey." I think I'll try.

So today I guess you could say our main thing was visiting. Wait... before I tell you about our visits, may I just say that I beat the husband 7-1 at Sequence last night. Now envision me doing the circle hand movements and fake crowd noise and I can move on. (Love you honey). Okay, so I started my day with breakfast at Sunrise with two of my former basketball players from this area. I always have flashbacks to when I was 21 when I talk to them and I smile and tell them that they will survive and life is simply not as hard as it seems right now. Slow down, enjoy, stop doing those things they know they should not, and have fun in a way I would approve of. That's all. :D I do love them. I feel their pains and rejoice in their triumphs. I really do. It was a good way to start my day.

Then we went to Ontario to see Jackie. She had surgery yesterday. We stopped and got her a hospital gift but it's Jackie so simple flowers and balloons will not suffice. We found an awesome, unusual plant (like Jackie) and both agreed "it's Jackie" and we found this big turtle mylar and it went perfectly with the plant. Add the sour jelly beans and you have a gift fitting of a special person who always makes us smile. She just had a hysterectomy and there were some cancer cells in there, so we have been sending prayers her way and it sounds like they got it. She will know more when the last biopsy comes back. My mom has been staying and taking care of her. She is in good hands. We love you Jackie! And Mom! :D We also got to see Mandy and family briefly and Rellie's arm is looking better.

Then we had to meet the guy at the cemetery to sign the paper for verification of where my dad's veteran plaque will be placed. We arrived a little early so I showed my husband where the row of Lyda's were and he is the family genealogist so he took pictures of the headstones to bring home and match up with what he has for that side of my family. There was only one person he did not already have and one date that he had wrong so it's good that we went.

Then we stopped and picked up a flower basket for some friends from church. He has cancer and we just wanted to visit and see how they were both doing (him and his wife). What an interesting life he has led. I learned so much about him in such a short time. We all have these interesting books in us if we'd just take the time to write them. He taught in Guam during the Vietnam War and he's taught on Indian reservations and he was a principal at a school up north somewhere where he had to go out bear hunting and shoot a bear to gain the respect of the community. When he took over they warned him that kids hung their teachers out the window on a regular basis and fights broke out all the time. It was quite interesting and when it cooled off (boy was it hot today) the hubby went back over and mowed their front lawn and adjusted their sprinkler. Why? Because it's a small thing for people going through such a large thing like cancer. I share it only to say that we may not think we can do anything or we may feel uncomfortable in situations like that, but we can do... whatever we can do. Even if it's just taking over a plant and simply listening.

Tomorrow I need to focus on my family reunion and get the final reminders sent out and the cookbook finished so I can get it sent off to Mary. I also need to get going on the picture video for the reunion. I guess tomorrow is a different kind of "reunion" day. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed