Saturday, November 26, 2011

Christmas Lights and Scary Santa

Lights make Christmas to me. They remind me of the light of Christ and bring a smile to old and young faces alike. They are just so beautiful. When my husband puts up the lights each year, it says "I love you" because he knows how much I love them. The little child inside of me never tires of the lights. I have many cherished Christmas memories, but imagining Christmas without lights is just not right. A star led them and a light continues to invite a merry spirit of hope and giving that ushers in a season of charity. I love it.
I remember the big bell that had a light at Gma Tucker's house and the "real" Christmas lights with "real bulbs" which I still love. I remember the Christmas cards Gma was constantly opening and hanging too. I need to send real cards this year. I will try. Other Christmas memories that I cherish include the year we had very little money and we made stars out of tin foil and strung the popcorn on a string. My favorite ornament is the pink one with a ballerina in it. I love unique ornaments. I also remember the first time I heard Santa's sleigh on the roof. We were in Alaska (go figure) and I was in the 3rd grade. We had visited the North Pole that year, so I was pretty sure he had received my letter. I shouldn't have been surprised to hear him! Of course it could have been one of the two Eskimos we had living with us. George had a tendency to get in a bit of trouble and may have been on the roof singing! Funny, I know we got awesome gifts that year, but I remember very few of my Christmas gifts over the years. I mainly remember all the stuff leading up to Christmas.
And when our own children were younger, they could not wait for my mom and dad to come over to "guard" the Christmas stockings. My husband loved setting booby traps (okay... where did that phrase originate), and the kids loved the challenge of getting to the stockings without being detected. And of course there was the package steaming, the fake boxes, the year they each gave up some of their own gifts for a less fortunate family, and the less than perfect nativity reenactments. And now this year, we are planning a grand family program. Monday we put up the tree. More lights in my life.
Greg also brought out our singing Santa. He is motion activated so he has scared me many a night throughout the years (if we forget to turn him off) because he is life size. Rellie was SO excited to get him out. All the grandkids love to dance with him. We thought Kayson would be big enough to appreciate him this year too and want to dance with him (Santa sings and swings his hips). However, Santa's head stores a little weird; it pops off and goes under his legs for storage. Greg pushes down on his shoulders when he comes out of the box and he pops up. He pushed a little hard this year and much to Kayson's horror, Santa's head came rolling out from under his legs across the floor and toward him. He about took out the furniture getting out of the living room. Even after Santa's head was properly attached, he would not return to the room. He wanted to stay in my bedroom (see first pic) close to my pillows so he could hide. He did, however, love the lights (pre-Santa appearance) and wanted to help Papa put them up (see pics).
Of course the biggest, brightest light in my life is my sweetheart. He is the greatest gift the Lord has blessed me with. He loves the Lord and honors his priesthood. He loves his children and grandchildren. He honors his father and mother. He is not perfect, but I know he loves me perfectly and he knows the things that bring joy to my heart.... like Christmas lights. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed